Nass Base Camp - BC Steelhead
Trip Dates: October 19-26, 2019
Two and half hours north of of Terrace, BC and the fabled waters of the lower Skeena there is a small, unassuming, homespun lodge that operates in anonymity and solitude. Their waters all flow eventually into the mighty Nass, the first big river system north of the Skeena. Their mainstay system is the Bell Irving, a gorgeous river where huge snow-capped mountains rise, in places, straight up out of the river. To call this river majestic is, in many ways, an understatement. The other systems will remain unnamed for good reason but they are unique, productive and very hard to blow out, making this program one of the most diverse and foul-weather resistant in all of B.C.
Your trip will be hosted by Michael Bennett, owner of Pacific Fly Fishers. Michael has been traveling to BC steelhead rivers over the last two decades and is happy to lend a hand at any time in addition to the very capable guide staff. Michael arranged this trip to Nass Base Camp and will assist anglers in the preparation, flights, questions and any other items necessary for each angler to have a trip of a lifetime.
The group for this trip is only five total anglers, including Michael. This is an intimate, casual and totally unpretentious set up. You could even call it a bit funky but the guides are as good as they get, the meals are delicious and hearty and the value is unquestionable. For those who appreciate getting off the beaten path and don't need white table clothes or turn down service, this is as good as it gets.
Stewart, BC is the nearest "town". The actual location is Meziadin Lake, BC.
At Nass Base Camp anglers will fish both the Bell Irivng and the Meziadin rivers, typically alternating between the two. Both systems will be accessed by jet boat and all fishing will be done while wading. All fishing will be with single barbless hooks and all fish will be released unharmed. Anglers may also have the chance to raft a remote tributary of the Nass. This system takes a long time to reach but is often well worth the effort. Anglers might also hike down to the confluence of the Nass and the Meziadin. This takes about 25 minutes and entails fairly challenging terrain. While the wading in the region tends to be easy, climbing in and out of the jet boats (especially the Outlaw jet boat) can be challenging.
Accommodations and Meals:
The Nass Base Camp is a simple, no frills, semi-funky 1700 square foot cabin near the shore of Meziadin Lake. It has four single occupancy bedrooms as well as a loft in the event there is a snorer. Guests share one bathroom. The lodge has full time cook and hearty meals will be served in the main dining room. While simple, and unpolished, this is a great little camp with super staff that serious anglers greatly enjoy.
- Day 1: Fly to Terrace, BC where we will be met at the airport and transferred to the Nass Base Camp, which is approximately a 2 ½ hour drive. Upon arrival we will get settled in and prepare gear for the following days of fishing.
- Day 2 – 6: Five full days of fishing.
- Day 7: This will be the sixth and last full day of fishing. After fishing the group will be taken back to Terrace to overnight in a double occupancy hotel room (included in package price).
- Day 8: Depart Terrace and return home.
Rates & Details:
- Trip Dates: October 19-26, 2019
- 2019 Rate: $4,679 (including taxes) per person for a 7 night/6 day package
- Included: Accommodations and meals at the lodge, guided fishing, transfers between Terrace airport and the camp, BC taxes. Last night's accommodations in Terrace.
- Not Included: Airfare to/from Terrace, staff guide and gratuities, alcohol, flies and fishing licenses.
- Species: Steelhead. Catch & Release only.
Questions & Book Your Trip:
For more information and questions, please contact Michael Bennett at 425-742-2402 or by email at Info@PacificFlyFishers.com. You may also use our Contact Form to send us an email.