Fish Skull - Baitfish Heads
Fish Skulls are an innovative product that has been a hit. They add weight and a great look to your streamer patterns. Each pack comes with eyes that are ready to fit into the slots in each head. Choose from three sizes and two colors. Size Small comes with 10 heads and size Small-Medium and Medium come with 8 heads per package.
To make articulated streamers with the Fish Skull heads, take a look at Fish Skull Articulated Shanks.
More information from the creators of Fish Skull:
Quick-and-simple to tie, this latest innovation in fly tying offers fly fishermen an exciting alternative to using old-style dumbbells or cones to weight their flies. The Fish-Skull™ has unique design features making it a very versatile platform for tying a wide variety of realistic, weighted streamer patterns using natural or synthetic fly tying materials.,
1. REALISTIC BAITFISH PROFILE
- The Fish-Skull™ design mimics the head, eyes and gill plates of a baitfish producing a more realistic looking profile.
- The realistic size head typically “pushes more water” than traditional flies.
- Fish-Skull™ adds weight to your streamer pattern. They are made from a lightweight metal composite that allow us to create a realistic size fish-head with a large surface area, but without adding excessive weight.
- They weigh roughly about the same as an equivalent hook size dumbbell. Weight as follows: Small skull is 0.48 grams (0.017 ounce), Small-Medium skull is 0.79 grams (0.028 ounces), and the Medium skull is 1.26 grams (0.044 ounces).
- For the SMALL size Fish-Skull we suggest to use Rod/Line weight size #5 and higher.
- For the new SMALL-MEDIUM size Fish-Skull we suggest to use Rod/Line weight size #6 and higher.
- For the MEDIUM size Fish-Skull we suggest to use Rod/Line weight size #8 and higher.
- Made from a 100% lead free metal composite material that is guaranteed to be corrosion free for up to 80 hours in saltwater.
3. BUILT-IN KEEL
- Unique design feature places the center of gravity and 70% of the weight of the Fish-Skull™ slightly below the hook shank producing a “keeling” effect similar to a dumbbell.
- The keel helps the fly track and orientate in the correct position.
- Allows the fly to be tied in either the hook down or the hook up position if desired.
4. 3D EYES
- Act as an important “trigger” for predatory game fish.
- A full set of 3D eyes is included with the Fish-Skull™ heads in the bag which eliminates the additional cost of buying eyes.
- Each pack of SMALL size has 10 skulls, SMALL-MEDIUM size has 8 skulls, and the MEDIUM size has 8 skulls.
- Sunken eye sockets in the Fish-Skull™ give fly tiers the option to use any other make, style or color of fish eye if they choose to do so.
5. TOP AND BOTTOM SLOTS
- Allow vertical freedom of movement for the tying materials.
- Enables broader profile flies to be tied.
- Gets more natural action from the materials.
6. COLORS AND FINISH
- Fish-Skull™ has a beautiful Chromax™ anodized coating providing color, flash and durability.
7. INNOVATIVE “FRONT-FITTING” DESIGN
- Quick-and-Easy to tie.
- Simply tie in all materials first, superglue thread wraps and fit Fish-Skull™ from front, finish off by tying a small thread-dam between the skull and the hook eye.
- Eliminates the need to use multiple coats of epoxy to build up a head and attach the eyes.
- Fish-Skull is available in 4 sizes (Small, Small-Medium, Medium and Large). The range fits hooks ranging from as small as a #8 (small freshwater/trout streamers) up to big #4/0 hooks (larger saltwater or bass flies).
- Size SMALL for hook sizes typically #8, #6, #4.
- Size SMALL-MEDIUM for hook sizes typically #4, #2, #1.
- Size MEDIUM for hook sizes typically #2, #1, #1/0.
- Size LARGE for hook sizes typically #2/0, #3/0, #4/0
Note: Fish-Skull has been sized using “standard” length saltwater hooks as a reference point. However, due to the wide variance in hook sizes and shapes found between the different hook manufacturers, this only provides general guidance to the hook sizes suitable for each size skull. Those sizes highlighted in Red are generally found to be the best hook size; however we suggest you experiment to find the optimum hook for the particular fly pattern you wish to tie.
9. MADE IN THE USA
Fish-Skull™ is 100% designed and manufactured in the United States.