RIO Skagit MOW Spey Tip Kits
RIO quit offering the MOW Tip Kits so we're making our own! RIO MOW Tip Kits include every size of the popular RIO Skagit MOW tips. Each Skagit MOW Tip Kit includes a storage wallet and the following six tips:
- 10ft Tip - Floating
- 10ft Tip - 7.5 feet floating and 2.5 feet of sinking
- 10ft Tip - 5 feet floating and 5 feet of sinking
- 10ft Tip - 2.5 feet floating and 7.5 feet of sinking
- 10ft Tip - 10 feet all sinking
- 12.5ft Tip - 12.5 feet all sinking
As a general rule for which tip kit to use...
- Use the Light size when used with Skagit heads of less than 475 grains.
- Use the Medium size when used with Skagit heads of 475 to 575 grains.
- Use the Heavy size for Skagit heads heavier than 575 grains.
- Short Skagit heads of 20-feet or less can turnover heavier tips so, for example, a 400gr Skagit head of 20-feet will generally cast the Medium sized MOW Tips just fine.
The Light MOW Tips use RIO T-8 with a sink rate of 6-7 inches per second. Each tip weighs between 80 and 100 grains.
The Medium MOW Tips use T-11 with a sink rate of 7-8 inches per second. Each tip weighs between 110 and 138 grains.
The Heavy MOW Tips use T-14 with a sink rate of 8-9 inches per second. Each tip weighs between 140 and 175 grains.